Back to work, and being hindered by organisational stuff. Didn't even program anything this week, but still broke the build. How Nice!
I did a tiny bit of work on Heron, my static site generator. I can now write inline-sidenoteslike this one with my own markup, and it'll be auto-inlined on the fly. This is super-awesome for me, because it means I can have my sources much more clean now.
I also added a "Makefile", which is a small python script that simply calls other functions. I've had a
~/bin/ folder for a long time, and it's in there now. So all I have to do is call
shezi serve on any console and edit away. Since the library I use (livereload) not only does automatic watching and serving, but also includes automatic reloading when the content changesand Obsidian auto-saves all the time, I can have live previews of all my editing.
Sure, sure, it's much slower now: generating the site takes about one second. I do loads of stuff super-inefficiently. But guess what: I don't care; this is much more about workflow than about performance. And if performance becomes an issue, I'll simply add caching and only rebuild what's necessary.
Next up: image hostingPowered by Jealousy™ over Jochen's amazing photo galleries!
Alright, so... images. I did a first draft, and it works. It collects all images in a folder, will generate sourcesets for you and only output the files that are actually needed. But the markup is super-ugly, think Jinja in your content. I'll have to think of something much better.
So I did another take on it, and now I'm happy. Here's how to generate a full-width image in an article:
[img:weeklog/lavi-perchik-wS-5JFH8-oU-unsplash.jpg desc=I'm a food blogger now! Photo by [Lavi Perchik](https://unsplash.com/@laviperchik) on [Unsplash](https://unsplash.com/s/photos/pizza-macro) alt=Closeup of a mushroom pizza ]
Since the syntax is parametrised and a all parameters go into the template, it's easy to have different formats:
I could even put images in the sidebar. All with simple markup and template magic. Naturally, I am following the guide on responsive images by Smashing Magazine, so all of these images are properly
srcseted. I mean, static hosting is super-fast anyway, but now I don't need to push all of these pixels to you if you don't need them.
Of course, it is all a bit hacky, but I don't care, because this is my tool. And there's still a gallery module missing, but that can wait!
Writing your own tooling is really great!
- maps.earth - open source maps for everyone Open-source maps for everyone, powered by Headway and OpenStreetMap
- Felt – Empowering a new generation of map-makers paid but very nice
- Geobasisdaten (Teil 2) · Open North
- Micro-sized open-source and low-cost GPS loggers below 1 g minimise the impact on animals while collecting thousands of fixes -- PLOS ONE
- Putting SOLID into Perspective – The Shade Tree Developer: I'm not big on strict rules anyway, and SOLID is one of these... ideals that seem less than ideal
- YaCy -- free software for your own search engine.: Seed the index with your history, have searchable history. Project for soon(TM).
- ‘Look closely and there’s a tear in Armstrong’s eye’: the Apollo space missions as you’ve never seen them before -- Space -- The Guardian
- Things I Won't Work With: Azidoazide Azides, More Or Less -- Science -- AAAS
- Design the next iPhone
- Falling for Kubernetes
Libraries, programming, etc
- Downbelow Station by C. J. Cherryh: the conflict is heating up! The Maziani are preparing for proper war, the station is in the midst of political turmoil (internally and externally), Union/Earth relations are breaking down. Everything is chaos!
- Sunshine Heavy Industries: it's just so nice!
I don't have a good kitchen situation right now, but I still enjoy finding recipes. So I have a baking backlog.
- Opera Cake, and Opera Cake and Opera Cake. Since American buttercream is an abomination, I'd try for Pâte à Bombe, even though that recipe looks not-super.
- Chocolate chiffon cake
- Ho Ho Cake, quite possibly also Milchschnitten-Cake
- Brigadeiro Cake, could also swap this in for the buttercream above
- Ice Cream Sandwiches, I love ice cream cookies and wanted easier/cheaper access to them, but, well, kitchen situation
- Julien Dugourd, I'm going to bake all of these!
- Lemon Tart
- Banana Custard cake
- Toaster-Oven chocolate cookies
- Dark chocolate pots de creme
- Chocolate cream pie
And of course there are non-baking recipes as well:
- Sweet Poppy-seed pasta
- Turkey Breast Scaloppine
- Buldak - Fire Chicken
- Senegalesisches Mafé
If there's anything on that list you like, and you have an occasion, I'll bake it for you.