It was a short work week.
Finally wrapped my Jupyter experiments into an article on all the best paths and watersheds in a map.
Had to add SVG support to Heron, which was very simple. I later also found out, during a longer drive, that Heron doesn't render tables correctly. So, from the Autobahn, I added table rendering.
I then continued making SVG experiments by creating hanging noodles and other things.
And finally, I met some friends on a fun and nerdy trip. It was great! I'm already looking forward to next year.
- Build your fanbase using the K-pop method
- First make the change easy, then make the easy change
- Film "Dune": Gibt es auch auf der Erde tödliche Sandwürmer? - Gesellschaft - SZ.de
- Collections: This. Isn’t. Sparta. Retrospective – A Collection of Unmitigated Pedantry
- This Is Not Sparta. Why the Modern Romance With Sparta Is a… -- by Sarah E. Bond -- EIDOLON
- CHAI, Assistance Games, And Fully-Updated Deference astralcodexten.substack.com
- Are we getting any better? Comparing project management in the years 2000 and 2008 -- Erling S. Andersen -- download: This paper is well worth a read, especially because of its spectacular doublethink, which I believe is endemic in the field of project management. Here's the choice extract from the conclusions: "We conclude that the field of project management is moving ahead. The 2008 scenario looks brighter than its 2000 equivalent. We have seen that project team members are more knowledgeable about project work, project objectives are more clearly expressed, project organization is more appropriate, most work processes are improved, team members experience project work as rewarding and are more motivated for future projects, and the results of the project are more balanced, taking into account personal, technical, and organizational matters. However, there is still room for improvement. The factual outputs should be improved. We have not been able to show significant progress in achieving the project mission and goals or keeping to the project schedule and budget. We have earlier expressed that this is strange. It deserves to be researched further. It is of great importance to identify what has to be done to improve project results." Let me rephrase that: "PM is getting better. Except when you look at results". To me this means that PM is mainly a form of psychotherapy, which will make you feel much better about your projects than actually changing anything about the outcome.
- Incarceration in Real Numbers: fantastic visualization of hard things
- Excess Death Rates for Republicans and Democrats During the COVID-19 Pandemic -- NBER
- Days Since Incident
- How Japan's Oldest Wooden Building Survives Giant Earthquakes
- RSS Club: School vs Wikipedia - ratfactor
- Introducing The National Algorithm -- by Sjef van Gaalen -- Medium
Libraries, programming, etc
- A flower woman by 1500+ artists: AI remixed
- GitHub - ImVexed/muon: GPU based Electron on a diet
- Dataset: Hurricane Isabel WRF Model Data Visualization
- 🤓 So you're using a weird language 🧠
- the new code – Making Arrows in SVG
- ESSD - DeepOWT: a global offshore wind turbine data set derived with deep learning from Sentinel-1 data
- Lamb–Oseen vortex - Wikipedia
- Dennard scaling - Wikipedia
- Tokyo 42
- Spaghetti Carbonara