Weeklog for Week 11: March 13 to March 19
The book went into print and the author copies arrived. It's great!
- Peppercorn (law) - Wikipedia
- 'Bizarro World' - The Boston Globe: "That's what my wife and I entered when we drove up to an arcade in Weirs Beach, New Hampshire, where she would attempt to break an official world record in the classic video game Tetris."
- Adenovirus 36 and Obesity: An Overview - PMC: "The most widely studied infectious agent possibly linked to obesity is adenovirus 36 (Adv36). Adv36 causes obesity in animals. In humans, Adv36 associates with obesity both in adults and children and the prevalence of Adv36 increases in relation to the body mass index."
- Computers Are Bad: the door close button: discussion of the elevator door close button and surrounding controversy
- The rise and stall of world electricity efficiency:1900–2017, results and insights for the renewables transition - ScienceDirect
- Vesuvius Challenge: "Resurrect an ancient library from the ashes of a volcano. Win $250,000. The Vesuvius Challenge is a machine learning and computer vision competition to read the Herculaneum Papyri."
- blog/3. The Secret World of Programmers.md at main · npmaile/blog · GitHub
- Could you train a ChatGPT-beating model for $85,000 and run it in a browser?
- ViperGPT: Visual Inference via Python Execution for Reasoning
- Building a Second Income Stream by Writing a Book: "Spoiler: It’s quite possibly the hardest way to build a passive income stream."
Libraries, programming, etc
- Appwrite - Open-Source End-to-End Backend Server: "Secure Open Source Backend Server for Web, Mobile & Flutter Developers" -- recommended by a friend. I'm not entirely sure what I'd need it for, since it doesn't seem to add a lot of value to my workflow, but looks very nice for some workflows.
- dalai: "Run LLaMA and Alpaca on your computer."
- GitHub - gilesknap/mciwb: Minecraft Interactive world builder
- A simple Python implementation of the ReAct pattern for LLMs -- Simon Willison’s TILs
- GitHub - exaloop/codon: A high-performance, zero-overhead, extensible Python compiler using LLVM
- GitHub - mozilla/sops: Simple and flexible tool for managing secrets
- Card Shark: You have to perform the card tricks yourself! You have to perform the card tricks yourself. Amazing! Also quite hard. 8/10
- Lonely Mountain Downhill: Like that ski game, very relaxing little racing/discovery game. I like it. 8/10
- Why A Romantic German Town Built The World's Biggest Toilet - YouTube
- I Said Yes to Every Email for a Month! - YouTube
- Searching For Space Pirates On Old Military Satellites - YouTube
- Nissan LEAF: Gas Powered Everything commercial - YouTube
- How The World's Tallest Statue Was Built - YouTube
- How an 18th Century Sailing Battleship Works - YouTube
- The INSANE Precision of The National Institute of Standards and Technology - YouTube
- A Finite Game of Infinite Rounds #SoME2 - YouTube
- True Facts Animal Awards: Best Worst Jumping and More - YouTube
- Numberphile's Square-Sum Problem was solved! #SoME2 - YouTube
- The Yellowstone Permutation - Numberphile - YouTube
- The Prime Number Race (with 3Blue1Brown) - Numberphile - YouTube
- What the Scanning Electron Microscope Reveals About This Failed Drill - YouTube
- This Is How Apple Fixes Its Un-repair Friendly Phones - Tearing Down Apple's Display Opener - YouTube
- One Second = One Hour PART 2 - The Slow Mo Guys - YouTube
- What if Every Second Lasted an Hour? - The Slow Mo Guys - YouTube
- Automating 7 Lego Water Pumps - YouTube