Finally all caught up with Jochen's weeklogs. And a toot of mine was featured in the header‽ What‽ Well, new goal set: get featured as often as possible!
Reddit went on blackout last week. Thank god, now they broke that addiction.
- The Sauce That Survived Italy's War on Pasta - Gastro Obscura (via Jochens weeklog)
- Even Amazon can't make sense of serverless or microservices (via Jochens weeklog)
- Open LLM Leaderboard - a Hugging Face Space by HuggingFaceH4 (via Jochens weeklog)
- Releasing an Indie Game on 3 Consoles at Once and Failing Financially – Juicy Beast
- Wie wir ein Bahnticket buchen wollten und am Ende 245.000 Datensätze hatten - zerforschung
- IKEA-Oriented Development
- Citogenesis in science and the importance of real problems – Daniel Lemire's blog (via Jochens weeklog)
- Security Analysis of the Dominion ImageCast X - Freedom to Tinker
- Smooth shadow generator
- Style your RSS feed
- Introducing Hurl, a terrible (but cute) idea for a language -- nicole@web
- Visualizing Annual Working Hours in OECD Countries: I am slightly unsure about this one, because "includes full-time and part-time workers". Let's say in a country, all men work and all women stay at home and care for the children. Then the average worker time will be quite high. In another country, all parents might share the parental load and work half time. The exact same amount of work gets done by the exact same amount of people, even though the average working time is much shorter.
- Openjob: distributed task scheduling framework / Habr
- valberg.dk - Writing a chat application in Django 4.2 using async StreamingHttpResponse, Server-Sent Events and PostgreSQL LISTEN/NOTIFY
- Maps Distort How We See the World - by Tomas Pueyo
- ChatGPT is Not a Technological Singularity -- blog@CACM -- Communications of the ACM (via Jochens weeklog)
- How my online gaming addiction saved my Ph.D. – Advait Sarkar
- Analyzing New Unique Identifier Formats (UUIDv6, UUIDv7, and UUIDv8) -- by Kyle Carter -- Dev Genius
- INFORMATION IS POWER -- EVE Online: An Excel plug in for Eve online
- The Neural Net Tank Urban Legend · Gwern.net
- At Long Last, Mathematicians Have Found a Shape With a Pattern That Never Repeats -- Smart News-- Smithsonian Magazine: Now where can I order floor tiles in that shape?
- Making sense of the EU’s fight for user-replaceable smartphone batteries - The Verge: What a weird article. The punch line is this: all smartphones sold in the EU after the end of 2026 must have user-replaceable batteries. The rest is just futzing with words what exactly "user" and "replaceable" mean, but it all seems pretty standard legal fare to me.
Libraries, programming, etc
- GitHub - bentoml/OpenLLM: An open platform for operating large language models (LLMs) in production. Fine-tune, serve, deploy, and monitor any LLMs with ease.
- GitHub - minimaxir/simpleaichat: Python package for easily interfacing with chat apps, with robust features and minimal code complexity.
- GitHub - Yerbert/DingoQuadruped: Base code for the Dingo quadruped; modified from Stanford Pupper and Notspot repositories. Includes integration with ROS Noetic and a simulation of the Dingo
- James Stanley - Oscillating Engine Simulator
- GitHub - binpash/try: "Do, or do not. There is no try." We're setting out to change that.
- Use of Weapons by Ian M. Banks: What a universe-spanning romp through the world of war, following one Cheradenine Zakalwe and his handler, Diziet Sma. Nonlinear, fantastic and with a twist that topples everything on its head. 9/10
- The Case Of The Golden Idol (from waitlist)
- Subway Cookies