Not a lot, as usual.
I talked to a friend about a game and its weird art. We both think it is too weird, so now I have to make my own.
Similar with another game that I played with another friend. Too few features, and one could make so much out of it. Now I have to do it myself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- Peregrine Falcon image wins bird photo award - BBC News
- Forget privacy: you're terrible at targeting anyway - apenwarr
- Inject My PDF: Prompt Injection for your Resume
- AGPL license is a non-starter for most companies -- Open Core Ventures
- Don Norman on how design fails older consumers
- BB(3, 3) is Hard -- sligocki
- Encrypt. Now. — blog.tripu.info
- Security Vulnerability of Switzerland’s E-Voting System - Schneier on Security
- Can We Build Trustable Hardware? « bunnie's blog
- Bootstrapping a SaaS Business in Germany: How I did it: Agree with some, disagree with others
- 'Patlabor 2: The Movie' has stunningly realistic aerial combat
- 4D Gaussian Splatting for Real-Time Dynamic Scene Rendering
- Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research Lab - Wikipedia
- What Are Accessibility Overlays? (Webbed Briefs) (via Jochens weeklog)
- 1000 hours of ChatGPT: here are the best 3 techniques to become a better prompt engineer!: that's not a lot of learnings for 1000 hours of doing (via Jochens weeklog)
- What Django Deployment is Really About - Google Präsentationen: There's a lot of stuff in here. My takeaway is this: deployments have been a problem for a long time. Once you've done one, it's not that hard.
- GaussianDreamer: Fast Generation from Text to 3D Gaussian Splatting with Point Cloud Priors
- Raspberry Pi 5 vs. Orange Pi 5 Plus vs. Rock 5 Model B -- PiCockpit -- Monitor and Control your Raspberry Pi: free for up to 5 Pis!
- How would we know whether there is life on Earth? This bold experiment found out
- How Do We Clean Up the Scientific Record? -- Function -- Oxford Academic
- First Impressions with LLaVA-1.5
- GPT-4 Vision Prompt Injection
- Ex Astris Scientia - Commercially Available Chairs in Star Trek
- USB-C head-to-head teardown
- Winsorized mean - Wikipedia
- Write more "useless" software -- nicole@web
- Mathematical Magic Mirrorball: how fantastic is this! I've gone to a large online retailer and downloaded product images of polished balls. They work with this.
- What If OpenDocument Used SQLite?
- The Generous Space of Alternative Game Engines (A Curation) -- The Candybox Blog
- OpenRA - Classic strategy games rebuilt for the modern era
- Godot is not the new Unity - The anatomy of a Godot API call -- Sam Pruden Does Stuff: What a weird argument to make: "GD is not the new Unity because they made some technical choices differently."
- GitHub - hyperdxio/hyperdx: Resolve production issues, fast. An open source observability platform unifying session replays, logs, metrics, traces and errors.
- Frankenstein's monster - Wikipedia:
The creature is a vegetarian. While speaking to Frankenstein, he tells him, "My food is not that of man; I do not destroy the lamb and the kid to glut my appetite; acorns and berries afford me sufficient nourishment...The picture I present to you is peaceful and human." At the time the novel was written, many writers, including Percy Shelley in A Vindication of Natural Diet, argued that practicing vegetarianism was the morally right thing to do.
- Early Europeans Ate Seaweed for Thousands of Years -- Smart News-- Smithsonian Magazine
- The Best Darn Grid Shader (Yet). For as long as I’ve been writing… -- by Ben Golus -- Oct, 2023 -- Medium
- A Good Enough Guestbook: I drew some art and it got printed. Yay!
- Pluralistic: Amazon’s bestselling “bitter lemon” energy drink was bottled delivery driver piss (20 Oct 2023) – Pluralistic: Daily links from Cory Doctorow
- Encrypted traffic interception on Hetzner and Linode targeting the largest Russian XMPP (Jabber) messaging service —
- Mitigating the Hetzner/Linode XMPP.ru MitM interception incident
- Bumble bees drop to shake off Asian hornets
- Nakatomi Space – BLDGBLOG
- In search of the least viewed article on Wikipedia: I'd also scale this by the length of the article (which automatically gets rid of redirects), to find the least-read words on Wikipedia. I'm also surprised that
- Mysterious rock depicted in 15th-century painting is most likely a Stone Age tool -- Ars Technica
- Making CRDTs 98% More Efficient -- jakelazaroff.com: And also 98% slower!
- A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer -- Andrea Yip
- Cratering motor fuel sales in Norway show the death spiral that can end oil
- Darren Aronofsky Says it Takes 12 People to Use the 18K Sphere Camera -- PetaPixel
- Ultra FP64 – The Worlds First FPGA N64
- The white furnace test – Light is beautifulLight is beautiful
- Nanofiche — Arch Mission Foundation - Preserving humanity forever, in space and on Earth.
Libraries, programming, etc
- Quick Start: Deploying to Fly.io - django-simple-deploy: always wanted to do something with fly.io, because it looks quite awesome
- GitHub - kwkr/feed-remover: Remove annoying feeds from popular websites
- Walkabout Minigolf: just sooo nice.
- Golden Idol Mysteries: The Spider of Lanka: very, very tricky!
- Eternal Threads (free from EGS)
- The Evil Within (free from EGS)
- Golden Idol Mysteries: The Spider of Lanka (from waitlist, DLC because the main was so good)
- Taskmaster, Series 11
- Fixing Quake's Ending - QuakeC Coding - YouTube
- Quake's Ending but Better - QuakeC Mod Coding - YouTube
- Brown Butter Mashed Sweet Potatoes -- Kenji's Cooking Show - YouTube
- there’dn’t’ve - YouTube
- Tested: Where Does The Tone Come From In A Microphone? - YouTube (via Jochens weeklog)
- The Mathematics of String Art - YouTube
- The Math of Bubbles // Minimal Surfaces & the Calculus of Variations #SoME3 - YouTube
- Crafting a Better Shader for Pixel Art Upscaling - YouTube
- Rethinking the real line #SoME3 - YouTube
- The Most Mind-Blowing Aspect of Circular Motion - YouTube
- The math of saving the Enola Gay #SoME3 - YouTube
- Watching Neural Networks Learn - YouTube
- Life Engine Unnatural Battle Royale - YouTube
- How did the Ancient Egyptians find this volume without Algebra? #SoME3 - YouTube
- Doughnuts: How many dozens are there? - Beautiful Combinatorics - YouTube
- Mathematical Magic Mirrorball #SoME3 - YouTube
- Making a Pitch Shifter - YouTube
- The Mosaic Problem - How and Why to do Math for Fun - YouTube
- When CAN'T Math Be Generalized? -- The Limits of Analytic Continuation - YouTube
- What Happens If We Add Fractions Incorrectly? #SoME3 - YouTube
- Lightning Talk: How Fast Are Computers (in Human Terms)? - Matt Godbolt - C++ on Sea 2023 - YouTube